This figure includes two 425 Agreements with Alaiedon Township and Meridian Township, and the four 425 Agreements with Delta Township since 2000.
Since the 2010 Census, the city has entered into two additional 425 Agreements.
The Census Bureau, however, for statistical purposes does count these as annexations.
Not counting the temporary 425 Agreements, Lansing administers 34.1 square miles (88 km) total.
The boundaries of the original city were Douglas Avenue to the north, Wood and Regent streets to the east, Mount Hope Avenue to the south, and Jenison Avenue to the west. Lansing began to grow steadily over the next two decades with the completion of the railroads through the city, a plank road, and the completion of the current capitol building in 1878.
Most of what is known as Lansing today is the result of the city becoming an industrial powerhouse which began with the founding of Olds Motor Vehicle Company in August 1897.
The area is home to two medical schools, one veterinary school, two nursing schools, two law schools—including Western Michigan University and Michigan State University—a Big Ten Conference university (Michigan State), the Michigan State Capitol, the state Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals, a federal court, the Library of Michigan and Historical Center, and headquarters of four national insurance companies. The seat of government of Ingham County is Mason, The land that was to become Lansing was surveyed as "Township 4 North Range 2 West" in February 1827 in what was then dense forest.
Olds would be joined by the less successful Clarkmobile around 1903.